"Our style is simple but not that easy. Roll up your sleeves and play good, solid football. We want to develop a quality football team that is going to last. Our goal is to win the Super Bowl and win it again and again." -- Marv Levy

3.28.2007

Prospect Profile: Paul Posluszny

My apologies for the "day off"; I assure you, I wasn't vacationing. Schoolwork caught up to me, but I have conquered it. I was also prepping for two mock drafts that I have been asked to take part in.

Speaking of those mock drafts...

Today I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to post on the Internet's best Chicago Bears blog, Windy City Gridiron. The head of that blog, WCG, asked me to participate in his site's second annual WCG Mock Draft. Today I posted who I thought the Bills would take after other members of his site made the first 11 picks.

For today's prospect profile, I will post what I wrote on Windy City Gridiron. According to that mock draft, with the 12th pick in the NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select...

12. Buffalo Bills (7-9): Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn State
The Bills have three major needs with their first-round pick: LB (where Spikes and Fletcher no longer reside), CB (where the team has talent but is very young), and RB (to replace Willis McGahee). As exemplified last year with the selection of SS Donte Whitner at pick #8, the Bills are not a team that is afraid to reach a little bit to select a player that fits their team.

Posluszny is the perfect fit in Buffalo. He is versatile, having played both OLB and MLB in his time at Linebacker U. He is vastly intelligent, has great instincts and intangibles and his work ethic is fantastic. He is completely recovered from a 2005 knee injury, and his 4.65-second time in the 40 was better than most expected. He plays very well in coverage (a huge necessity for Buffalo's Tampa-2 scheme) and attacks and fills well against the run. His size is a concern for some, but size is not an issue in Buffalo's scheme (Keith Ellison only weighs 225). Most importantly, however, he gives the Bills options at who they can play at MLB - the team may not be totally sold on playing Angelo Crowell inside, and "Puz" gives the team two viable options for that position.

As for the other needs, there are some good value RB's in Rounds 2 and 3 and the Bills will employ a 2- or even 3-back scheme, so using a first round pick on Marshawn Lynch is tempting but not necessary. The team has 4 corners it plans on using at the moment (T. McGee, K. Thomas, A. Youboty, J. Greer), so a draft pick would not need to start right away. Posluszny makes the most sense for this team.
(as written on Windy City Gridiron) -- Check it out! It's a great blog that's very well-written!

Big Board Coming Pre-Draft
In preparation for my second mock draft with SportsBlogs Nation, where I will also be picking for the Bills (this time for 3 rounds), I am preparing a "Big Board" which lists my Top 100 prospects available in the draft. I literally just started working on it today, and I do not have plans to post it here or anywhere else while the Mock Draft is going on - don't want anyone finding my secret blueprints that, of course, are 100% accurate. Yes, that's a joke.

As far as pre-draft activities, I will continue my Prospect Profiles mixed with Bills news, Mock Drafts and the like until Draft Weekend. Stay tuned!

Announcement
Hopefully within the next few days, I will be making a big (at least for me) announcement about the future of this blog. Stay tuned for that announcement as well - you won't want to miss it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home