"Our style is simple but not that easy. Roll up your sleeves and play good, solid football. We want to develop a quality football team that is going to last. Our goal is to win the Super Bowl and win it again and again." -- Marv Levy

4.03.2007

Prospect Profile: Patrick Willis

In light of my selection of MLB Patrick Willis (left) in the SB Nation Mock Draft today, I thought I'd give you all a profile on our "new" linebacker. Below are the scouting report provided by ESPN's Draft Magazine, and an interview with the young man from Ole Miss that appears in The Sporting News' Draft Guide.

Height: 6'1" Weight: 242 40-Time: 4.37 seconds Senior

ESPN Profile
STRENGTHS: Power
- Strong enough to take on blocks in the phone booth. Explodes through tackles and is reliable in space. Good height, adequate bulk and room to beef up frame. Quick, fluid and agile for size. Great initial burst. Takes solid angles in pursuit and sifts through traffic. Has the lateral quickness to make plays sideline to sideline. Good range. Matches up vs. most TEs and RBs one-on-one. Natural leader.

WEAKNESSES: Instincts
- Below-average ball skills in coverage. Has the range but can be slow to diagnose at times. Can play a bit high and let defenders get into his body. Needs to add some weight (especially in the lower body) to hold up better on the inside. Injury-prone.

NFL COMPARISON: Jonathan Vilma, NY Jets

GRADE: 90 (Elite player - "Shows rare abilities and creates mismatches that have an obvious impact on the game.)
To me, the fact that Willis was as productive as he was in college on a bad team - combined with his work ethic, character and potential for growth - mean that he can grow into a dominant Cover-2 middle linebacker. There are concerns, sure, but his ceiling was too high to pass on.

The Sporting News - Player Snapshot
My favorite moment as a college player was: Probably the hit that started it all off for me came when I was a freshman against Alabama. I mostly just played special teams then, but I tried to make the most of it. Against Alabama, I had a hit on the kickoff team that had people thinking: Who is this guy?

My opponents would say the best thing I do is: Run to the ball. They never catch me standing around or not being around the ball.

The part of my game that will need the most work in the NFL is: Probably my pass coverage. I need to learn how to jump routes. I'm used to just dropping into zones and not really playing a receiver.

My friends would describe my personality as: Laid-back but funny. They always ask me why I'm laid-back. But that's just me. When we are all chilling, I'm more of a clown.

The NFL player I am most like: Derrick Brooks or Brian Urlacher. No one really gave Urlacher a chance coming out of New Mexico. I admire the way Brooks carries himself and what he stands for and the way he plays football.

The NFL player I can't wait to face: Jerious Norwood of the Falcons. He got the best of me the last time we played them, when he still was at Mississippi State. We shut him down pretty well my sophomore year. But my junior year, they kind of went crazy on us.

The first thing I'll buy after I sign my contract: Probably a car, like most guys. I drive a 1996 Yukon right now. I'll probably go for the Escalade truck.

When I score my first NFL touchdown: I'll probably get on one knee and do the Lord's Prayer.
There you have it, folks - two very reputable sources with pretty high endorsements of our "new" linebacker. What do you think of Patrick Willis? Good fit in Buffalo? Or a reach? Let me know by commenting below!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home